Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Serious Lack

I'm noticing a serious lack of Christmas spirit this year, and it's depressing the hell out of me.


I've gotten a fraction of the Christmas cards I usually do. Where's the papery-love?

I understand that times are tough for a lot of people, and Christmas cards and mass postage could be where they're chosing to cut back. But, usually Christmas is that time of year when you hear from those folks in hard print -- you don't normally hear from any other time.


There are less well-wishes and happy new year notes from the higher ups at work, which makes work feel like... well, work at Christmastime. And who wants that? I'd prefer a slightly merrier atmosphere for a few days out of the year.


I gave someone a gift today who seemed... not excited to get a gift. It was pushed to the side and not opened. I don't give gifts to gain brownie points, but I live for those reactions.


My vacation starts today, and I'm hoping my 3.5 hour long ride home with Christmas music will help pump that holiday adrenaline through my veins.


When I walk into the front door of Mom and Dad's house and see TWO Christmas trees with presents spilling from beneath... I'm guessing THEN I will fill the Christmas spirit.

Mom's little holiday figurines and Dad's Griswold-ish outdoor lights should ignite that flame.


When Dad puts on the Santa hat to pass out presents... then I'll feel the Christmas present.


When the family gathers for a supremely-fattening Italian Christmas Eve dinner... I'll certainly be feeling the spirit. So will my pants... as they slowly tighten.

It's just right now... right this very moment... I don't feel it.

I'm officially off the clock at work, and so the journey home for the holidays begins.

Santa, get here quick!

2 comments:

  1. I felt this same way, but that's from being sick. I felt very rushed and not prepared, so I went and bought Sugarland Christmas CD. Once I got in the car leaving Charleston, I was ready and in the spirit to see family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things got more Christmas-y for ya, Jaim :)

    I really did think it was you in that hair salon btw...weeeeeiirrd!

    ReplyDelete