Monday, March 26, 2012

While Jimmy Is Sleeping...

I look at my husband while he sleeps.

He sleeps a lot now, which took getting used to.

He sleeps while titled back and reclined in his wheelchair because it's more comfortable.

Sometimes it leads me to think about our new life.

He's doing so good. He's come such a long way. And he does it all without a giant chip on his shoulder.

I think about some of the things people say to me... or have said to me after the accident.

Things like... "You're going to have such a hard life."

Or... "This whole thing is really going to age you."

And even... "You're a good person. Anyone else would've left him."

It's hard to be strong when you have people throwing daggers at you like that.

Goodness gracious.

But the truth is... I made a commitment when I stood before my friends, family and minister on that day in June.

It's all part of it. It's life. It's marriage. Dealing with the blows the best way we can together.

If the situation were reversed, I'd like to think Jimmy would rise to the occasion and be there for me in every way he knew how.

We got married because of the character and strength each of us contains.

It was in the vows we exchanged. In sickness and in health... You have to mean that stuff.

One of my favorite quotes is from Dana Reeve. Her legacy is one I will always admire.

"A terrible thing happened. I wish it hadn't. But would I change who I married? Never."

Jimmy could've died that day. Some would say he almost died that day.

He may never walk again. He may never be able to use his arms again.

We'll deal with it. He's already amazed me with how he maneuvers his chair with a straw. A straw!

He's kind of my hero.

Jimmy continues to sleep while we wait for our doctor's appointment. And when his snoring used to be annoying... It's now comforting. He needs his rest.

He'll wake up happier.

We attended another peer support group at Shepherd this past Thursday.

Someone said something encouraging to me that gave me some perspective.

She said... Spinal cord injuries are unlike any other disease, in that, a lot of times patients get better instead of worse.

Well we know that's true, so far. And that certainly gives us something to look forward to, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Jaimie and Jimmy
    You are the most amazing couple that I know and you are the truth behind Marriage and Love. I admire the 2 of you and wish more people would show the Love and commitment as you both have. You are an inspiration of strength, support and challenges. Everything in life is for a reason and God will always stand with you, you are never alone. Your faith shows and I pray for both of you everyday. Sometimes you feel as though you have mountains to climb, but only God knows how close to the top that you are. Keep on climbing, as you look back..you have come so far.
    Love you both and Thank you for sharing your most intimate thoughts and feelings. Jimmy would also stand by you and taken care of you the way that you take care of him. It is just the people you are. God bless you both each and everyday as you take the challenges and come through with flying colors!!
    Many hugs and love to you both
    Doreen Moschella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Doreen--

    I could not have said it any better. Jimmy and Jaimie-- you two are amazing and make a great team :)

    Hugs,

    Noelle

    ReplyDelete