Monday, October 29, 2012

Joy

I'm not sure what's happening and I don't want to jinx it.

However, I want to remember this joy I'm feeling.

I haven't been this happy in awhile. It's been a long few months...

On Thursday night, I encouraged Jimmy not to sleep on the vent and to try a new sleep filter his Shepherd respiratory therapist gave us for when he was ready.

You see, we got some really good news.

Jimmy's breathing strengths were really high when recently tested, which indicates he may be getting diaphragm function back.

I know. Medical stuff that is confusing.

But, uhm, jump for joy because that's really holy-crap-kind-of-news.

On that note, Jimmy was permitted to get his butt off the vent and eventually wean off his DPS, the pacer that is stimulating his diaphragm.

Uhm, jump for joy again.

That means they believe he can breath ON HIS OWN.

She. Jumps. For. Joy. Once. Again.

For the better part of the year, Jimmy has been off the vent during the day, and will go back on at night. He got real comfortable with this routine.

I'm proud to say our someone that has been dependent (in some way) on a ventilator since his accident, has now gone days without.

Our ventilator hasn't been touched since Wednesday morning.

That part isn't so shocking. I knew he could do it when he was ready.

But what we didn't see coming was such a dramatic change in Jimmy's well-being.

For the better.

I never knew Jimmy had lost the color in his face until it recently started coming back.

He's back to getting a good night's sleep.

He's funny. I mean, he was always funny... but he's got jokes all day long -- just like before.

His fatigue isn't taking over our life like it once was.

Granted, we're only three(ish) days in. BUT STILL.

He doesn't look miserable when he rolls out of his room. He still looks tired, because his morning is strenuous. But he doesn't need to recover by sleeping 3-4 hours anymore.

I'm exhausted with excitement (I could barely get through a tennis clinic, yesterday) but I'll take it.

I'm very spongy in that I absorb Jimmy's moods.

If he wakes up in a shitty mood, it sets the tone for my day. It's very hard to turn that around with a good mood of my own.

When he's peppy... it's freaking contagious.

I'm basking in the glow of Jimmy's healing.

Maybe this is a turning point.

My husband hasn't been this "Jimmy" in a very long time.

I didn't know how much I missed it.

We both have been celebrating... and hope it sticks.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of him!! And you too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just keeps getting better and better! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to read this... You guys are so freaking awesome! Love knowing that you're both smiling!

    ReplyDelete