Thursday, November 1, 2012

One Week

Tonight, Jimmy and I celebrated.
 
It's been one week since our boy made the decision to not sleep on the ventilator. 
 
This time is different because he hasn't gone back.
 
I thought he'd want a steak or something, but he was fine with one of my favorite meals to cook/eat. Inspired by him, of course. 
 
He first made this for me when we were dating. It's so simple and yet... I was highly impressed. Hard not to be wowed by Jimmy's culinary skills, many would testify to this.
 
I made peppercorn pork tenderloin with sauteed spinach and mushrooms. I also did a feta cream sauce to go on top.  (Pictured Below)
 
Asparagus on the side that was, sadly, steamed a few minutes too long.
 
My occasional, yet necessary glass of red wine.
 
His Captain Morgan and Diet. Straw included.
 
This was our little place setting, on our kitchen island. 
 
 
Next, onto dessert. Jimmy can't have much in the way of sweets, but Bananas Foster is special to us. (Pictured Above)
 
He used to make this for us when we lived in our first apartment in Greenville, SC.  It was so good.  He actually taught me how to make this during our time there. I'm grateful for that.
 
Again, very easy but so good and I love meals that remind us of a certain time we can talk about during dinner.
 
I wanted to cook some good food tonight for Hubs. He's done good.
 
Although he has an implanted pacer stimulating his diaphragm to help him breath, we were prepared, knowing that letting go of the ventilator is extremely difficult and scary for a lot of people.
 
It's a comfort thing. A safety net. It can be purely psychological.
 
Jimmy has been on the ventilator in some form for over a year.  He probably could have come off a while ago.
 
But, he had to be ready.
 
I kept asking, knowing he would one day say yes to sleeping off the vent.
 
Tonight, we ate, drank, laughed and celebrated.
 
No ventilator! For a week!

What a frigin' rock star.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are the best.. bravery and grace.... love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great resin to celebrate! His accomplishments and your encourages! Congrats to both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy One week! That is awesome... and a mighty tasty looking meal!!

    ReplyDelete