Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas

I made this recipe based on watching other people make enchiladas and got some further pointers from recipes online, so I'm calling it my own.

Also, I don't do a lot of measuring so, here's my best guess.

I used mushrooms, chicken and onions in my filling. Obvs, you can change that up as you'd like.

Ingredients:
*I used Low Carb Soft Taco La Banderita Tortillas (they are soft enough to roll up)
*Boneless, skinless chicken fillets. (2-4 pieces) You can also use a rotisserie chicken to save time.
*Mushrooms
*Onions
*Cilantro
*Softened cream cheese (I used light)
*Sour cream (I used light)
*Red enchilada sauce (16oz or so)
*Olive oil
*Cooking spray
*Seasonings
*1 packet of taco seasoning
*Shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook your chicken. I did mine in a pan on the stove, cooked in garlic and olive oil. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic salt, etc.
In a separate pan, cook a roughly chopped onion in some olive oil and garlic (I like thee garlic). Season with pepper and a little salt. Cook for a few minutes.
Add mushrooms to that pan and some chopped cilantro. Cook down mushrooms. I like them to be a little browned.
When chicken is done, roughly chop it or shred it with a knife.

In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken and mushroom/onions.
Add packet of taco seasoning
Add half a block to a block of softened cream cheese
Add 3 or 4 spoonfuls of sour cream
Mix it all up.
Your filling is done.

Take your tortillas and pop them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to make them more pliable.
Spray casserole dish with cooking spray
Cover the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish with your red enchilada sauce. (I used an 8oz. packet of red sauce. Next time I'll use two packets. It almost wasn't enough) Put some sauce aside for later.

Get your warm, softened tortilla
Put a few spoonfuls of filling on the inside
Fold both sides in and then roll her on up.
Roll the enchilada *all the way around* in the red sauce that's in the bottom of casserole dish and then leave the bathed enchilada in the dish.
Continue until you fill the casserole dish with enchiladas

Pour rest of sauce over top of enchiladas.
Also, add some shredded cheddar over top.

Cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Our new favorite meal. Jimmy says this should always replace "taco day" in the house. My poor peppercorn pork tenderloin I'm making tonight doesn't stand a chance after these.

No comments:

Post a Comment