Friday, March 15, 2013

The Happy Movie

Everyone should watch this. Do it. Now. It's a documentary called "Happy."

Jimmy and I watched it yesterday and it really resonated with me on a number of levels. It's currently on Netflix's instant streaming.

"Happy" shows the happiest cultures/countries (Denmark, Bhutan) and the least happiest places and people, like in Japan, where many are physically working themselves to death. There's even a term for it: Karoshi. I don't think I knew about this. It's a very sad, very real phenomenon.

There were a lot of stories like this. Some hard to watch, some not sad at all. Some so simple it's mind-boggling. A group of older folks who get together once a week, eat a bunch of crab and just talk and laugh. And... that's it. Happiness.

But this: the story of a beautiful, gorgeous woman -- married with kids -- who got run over by a truck. Her face had to be reconstructed. She looks different now. Some would say she's not beautiful anymore. Her husband divorced her.

And yet, now, NOW she's the happiest she's ever been. After the accident. It took time, fear, pain, angst. But she's there.

She said something that helped me. It was something along the lines of: "I kept thinking, I don't understand. I just don't understand. And now I realize... I don't have to understand and that's okay."

I DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND.

I feel like the "WHY" can kill you. Trying to wrap your brain around it. It's hopeless.

On with my movie review/book report..

There was a pie chart (who doesn't love a good pie chart?) that shows how current research measures happiness.

Genetic: 50%
Circumstance: 10%
Intentional activity (actions you chose to do): 40%

Fascinating, aye?

Oh, and this. A lead researcher on happiness told the filmmaker:

"A person's values are among the best predictors of their happiness. People who value money, power, fame and good looks are less likely to be happy than people who value compassion, cooperation and a willingness to make the world a better place... people who express their love—who rejoice in the health and happiness of others are more likely to feel loved and happy themselves."

Okay just love.

Oh, one last thing. There was a section of movie that focused on bullying. This was the only time of the film I actually cried my eyeballs out. With the help of an anti-bullying coach, a child gets up in front of all his classmates and tells them he's tired of being picked on for being so short. He tries to be tough, but then breaks down. I can't. Gets me every time.

The film gets the brain moving. Do we really need MORE?

After watching this movie, I think... no.

Now to put that into practice, right?

The film's website: http://www.thehappymovie.com/film/


2 comments:

  1. Love the way you put things into words,you can almost see
    the picture through your words.Great Job.Gail Osborne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gail! Always love your occasional comments!

    ReplyDelete