Tuesday, April 16, 2013

These Three Miles

Oh I wanted so badly to pound the pavement and run 5+ miles, to run a personal best. Reality sunk in as the hills and heat proceeded to kick my ass (I sadly do most of my running on a climate-controlled treadmill).

It was important for me run today. It was important for me to run outside today. I had to think about Boston. To remember the sweet victims. That little boy. I had to live the lyrics of my songs.

"I, I will not surrender. No I, I will not surrender."

"You'll shoot me down, but I won't fall. I am titanium."

"And we live in a beautiful world, yeah we do, yeah we do. Oh, all that I know, there's nothing here to run from, cause yeah, everybody here's got somebody to lean on."

I felt as if drivers and dog walkers looked at me with compassion today. They gave me extra space on the road. Other days, maybe not. Did I remind them of what happened?

I will continue to run and continue to remember each time I lace up my sneakers -- and later this year when I run my first two big races? It will be for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment