Friday, May 3, 2013

Long Day

Alarm clock went off at 3:45am.
Snoozed once.
Checked to see if Jimmy was up.
Coffee.
Frasier on at 4am? This made my morning.
Scroll through Twitter.
Write on FB to people who clearly weren't awake at that time.
Pack up the van (and more coffee). Time to go.
Arrive at hospital at 5:20am.
Not many cars there yet.
Sun not up yet.
Made our way to admissions, then pre-op.
Lots of questions.
Lots of signatures. 
It took four people to transfer Jimmy to a bed.
More coffee.
IV going in. 
Jimmy is wheeled off to anesthesia, then OR.
Already loopy with pre-happy juice.
"We'll take care of him."
Stomach = knots.
This part of the hospital smells like NEURO-ICU from August of 2011.
The beeping sounds are giving me slight anxiety.
They take him away and it's hard.
It's just outpatient.
I go to eat. I get excited about cafeteria breakfast.
A little on edge.
Sitting in the part of the cafeteria where I know cell service works.
Back up to Family Waiting.
Sit next to my nurse.
"They started surgery at 7:54am"
I play on my phone.
Try to read more of The Great Gatsby.
Wait. Did something big just happen? It's too much to read this kind of writing right now.
Doctor comes out around 8:35am.
He did well.
Wait until he wakes up.
One hour later.
He is slightly awake.
Only can mumble "I'm freezing."
Shivering. Teeth chattering.
I told him he did good.
He is just so cold.
The nurse brings warm blanket after warm blanket.
An hour and a half later -- we leave.
Jimmy is still cold.
He gets soup. Meds. Liquids. More blankets.
I go fill new meds at Shepherd. Eat lunch while I wait.
Home.
Jimmy starts to develop a high fever.
He goes to bed.
Slightly worried?
Dinner. Dishes. Laundry.
Check mail.
Pay rent.
And even, a sort of blog. Bullet points.
Beyond exhaustion.
And, I'm going to have read that part of Gatsby again.
On another day.

6 comments:

  1. So glad it's behind you and that jimmy wakes healthy and happy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post! It made me feel like I was there with you, which, by the way, I would love to be there with you. You are so strong and brave. Most people don't realize, when they scroll through this list of tasks, emotions, and responsibilities, that this is mostly you - alone. You are so strong and brave, my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just leaving you some Love. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it went well and hope the fever has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Fraiser is there to get you through! XO

    ReplyDelete