Friday, November 8, 2013

The Thing About IVF? Sometimes It Doesn't Work

It didn't work for us this time. As sucky-hard as that news is, Jimmy and I are doing okay.

This was a gamble. We knew striking out was a possibility.

Right after I published a cheery blog about my egg retrieval and moving forward, the embryologist called us and said we had no fertilization and that I should stop taking my medication.

I was pretty upset right off the bat. I kinda felt like we had this. We were so close. Well, it felt that way. But it guess you don't really have it until you take home a baby.

It was quite the curve ball also for the staff who had not anticipated this outcome based on what they saw with our sperm/eggs.

Jimmy and I had some sad time together and then we had to pick ourselves up and carry on with the day. I asked him if he wanted me to cancel his dentist appointment. He said no.

I'm glad we went.

The car ride there was pitiful, though. I was tearing up behind my monster aviators which are a savior for times like these.

Remember, a nurse rides with us to most places and they don't know everything happening with us yet. So, yeah I was hiding behind my glasses.

But we kind of snapped out of it after the dentist appointment. I don't even know why. Was it the traffic corner transvestite with his/her whistle and baton? Maybe.

I also think we realized that this isn't the end of the road for us. We still have options. Some of them may not be 100% ideal, but I think we know the result(s) will be ideal.

We will talk with our doctor after she consults her colleagues and make a decision on what we need to do next.

Meanwhile I have a hair appointment tomorrow and I am considering taking advantage of a girl's mountain weekend coming up. Seems like it might be good timing.

Jimmy and I also have some therapy sessions next week. Also good timing.

It's nice to hug my husband and I know I have him. I can go in for a hug whenever I want. Even if he doesn't want me to. Too bad.

I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with him.

We really are okay. I promise. We have to keep things interesting right?

I will keep you posted on journey and put all your prayers on a shelf for when we will need them once again.

Thanks always for the support. 

"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
Oscar Wilde

4 comments:

  1. Reading these blogs make me ashamed at myself for my negativity..... Love the part about you being able to give Jimmy the hug whether he wants one or not! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaimie I'm SO SO SO sorry!!! I told my husband and we both said...that isn't fair!!! I know life isn't fair and so do you but sometimes I feel like those of us who have already been through the ringer just deserve SOMETHING to go right and go easy...for once! Then I have to stop and remember God has this plan that I don't understand...EVER...but I try every day to learn piece by piece. Trust in Him through all of this that He is aware of you and Jimmy and that even though we can't understand WHY in the H$#@ this didn't work out...He does. He has some awesome blessings in store for you 2 and I look forward to seeing what they are!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess... you're the best. Thank you so, so much.

      Delete