Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Peace Out 2013

Another year of life lessons. Another year of heavy-hearted moments. Another year of learning how to make the good stuff more valuable than the bad.

Tonight, Jimmy and I are home. He's trying to stay strong for the rest of his night. I'm reflecting; where we've been, where we are and where we could be headed.

I've learned so much this past year.  About my husband, myself, our spinal cord injury and so much more. 

Here are some Moore moments from 2013 and some random things I've learned:
  • We moved to Decatur -- and absolutely love it. 
  • We traveled to Greenville, SC / Edisto Beach, SC / Asheville, NC / Morganton, NC / Myrtle Beach, SC.
  • We want to be parents! We did IVF (didn't work) and are continuing to seek treatment.
  • Jimmy got some great news about his breath strengths. He has wowed his doctors and only uses the ventilator when he's facing pure exhaustion. No longer is he dependent on it. 
  • I baked nine different kinds of cookies for Christmas this year. I kind of heart baking now. 
  • I got a bike! And a cute little basket for it. I have a bike with a basket!
  • I took a solo trip to meet my nephew, Lorenzo. He's so completely perfect. 
  • Jimmy and I discovered the Dekalb Farmers Market, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, The Pioneer Woman, Pocket Coffee, sugar-free butterscotch pudding, Whole Foods BBQ bar/salad bar, The Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and a recipe for just two chocolate chip cookies.
  • I ran the Peachtree Road Race.
  • I met Glennon. 
  • I get hostile if stores don't have mini-grocery carts. 
  • I went back blonde.
  • I went to church for the first time in years. 
  • I read The Great Gatsby. 
  • Discovered I now have an interest in the NFL.
  • My car got booted for the first time. Thanks, Atlanta!
  • Jimmy learned that having a fire place is a good, good thing for his injury. 
  • Jimmy still wants a dog.
  • We went to a Braves game, a Tarheels game and a Lakers game.
  • For our anniversary, I got Jimmy tickets to see his favorite band: Steely Dan. 
  • I decided once and for all I dislike Indian Food.
  • I learned to put my support system in place when needed. They will answer the call. 
  • Likewise, If people want to really be a part of your life, they will make it happen. 
  • Family feeds our souls.
  • We've made some good SCI buddies and now have wonderful resources. 
  • Chocolate egg nog is the shiz. 
  • Bridget Jones is still my hero. 
We are grateful for those who are good to us and those who make our life easier. I'm grateful to those who hold the door open for us when they see the wheelchair coming, and for those who don't. They keep us honest.

I'm grateful to volunteers and peer support. 

I'm grateful for my husband. No matter how miserable his injury is, he can still find a way to be a good husband. We can still find and treasure our happy moments in the midst of this thing.  That makes this life worth living. And coffee. Coffee also makes this life worth living.

2013 wasn't all bad. Let's keep it interesting 2014.

Hearts,
Jaimie

[Music: Crystallized by Young the Giant ]

1 comment:

  1. Loved your letter. Heart baking or hate baking? Please send recipe for 2 cnoc. chip cookies! Agree about mini grocery carts (I use them as a cane). Love the "back to blond". Maybe there's a "care" dog for Jimmy. What does shiz mean? Caroline Ervin

    ReplyDelete