Wednesday, March 4, 2015

At Least She Smiles

Tuesday was fun and hard and we did it.

We had, what I think was our first big family outing since Spencer's birth. We went to Georgia Tech to see Jimmy's Tarheels play. 

We left super happy. 


It felt not crazy overwhelming getting us ready and getting us there. I parallel parked the van and made Jimmy acknowledge how well I did. 

Finding our seats wasn't difficult. Strollers weren't allowed so I carried Spencer in the Ergo. 

As soon as we entered the arena, Jimmy and his nurse scouted out a place to get him suctioned. Jimmy is ill at the moment and needing to be suctioned a whole lot. 

I went to pay way too much for a Diet Coke, popcorn and a hot dog for Jimmy. 

Tip off happened. And we were off. Enjoying our outing. 

Then scoring happened. And happened again. And the roaring applause and buzzers happened. 

And then this happened:


The loud noises associated with the game scared the bejesus out of the little. I held her close but could still feel her cry erupt over and over. She finally fell asleep as I covered her ears with my hands. 

Jimmy was back and forth so much to get suctioned, I feel as if he couldn't truly enjoy the game. We were there for him. That part made me sad. But, still, when he wasn't off getting suctioned, I could see the happiness in his eyes. It was worth it. 

He said, "no more live events."  I said, "yes, there will be more live events." He was in no shape to be making blanket statements like that. Poor fella. 

The game was good and even with Jimmy and Spencer's challenges, it felt good that we did it. 


Then we got in the car. Spencer immediately started crying. Not just crying. Screeching. Then Jimmy was coughing. Yep. Needing to be suctioned again. His vent alarm went off. But he wanted to just get home to do it. 

So, baby crying. 
Jimmy's coughing/choking. 
Vent alarm going off. 
Windows fogging up due to weather. 
I took a wrong turn getting home. 
I was getting sweaty. 

There was nothing I could do to comfort Spencer from where I was sitting in the front seat. 

I guess the good news was that when I did finally get her out of the van, she calmed down.

And when we got inside, she even was willing to smile.  

At least she smiles... 

1 comment:

  1. By the time you got to the "I was getting sweaty" line, so was I. Holy moly! Still, I am glad you got a family outing in. And that it ended with smiles.

    ReplyDelete