Friday, May 22, 2015

27 Days


We're coming up on a month that Jimmy's been in the hospital. He hasn't been home in 27 days.

I ran into a neighbor in Kroger tonight. She's one of my favorite people in our condo building. Her name is Betty. Betty happened to see me as I was packing up my car, heading to the ER with the baby to go meet Jimmy on April 26th. I actually hadn't seen her since.

I told Betty then how much this was needed. For Jimmy to get some urgent medical care. He looked so bad. He wasn't himself. There was just so much unknown about what was happening. She wanted to comfort me but I was in go mode, and I assured her that Jimmy and I both felt better after we made the call to 911. A sense of relief took us over. We knew it was the right decision.

I had never called 911 before. We live very close to several hospitals, fire and police stations. We hear sirens all the time. Very odd to hear them and to know this time, they're coming for you. Jimmy said they rode non-urgent, without sirens and lights. He wasn't in distress, and because of that, we were able to chose the hospital we wanted. I remember getting in the ER and having some conversations with the ER doc and a lung doctor. Jimmy had blacked out once while I was there, having a brief moment of unresponsiveness. That was something that was happening a lot. I assured Betty the call we made we most likely life-saving. We truly didn't realize the depth of his sickness until they started unraveling over the course of two weeks in ICU.

Running into Betty today made me realize just how far he's come since the last time I've seen her. I explained to her what Jimmy's been through with surgery, not being able to eat and drink, not able to see the baby for two weeks, septic, etc. Jimmy has gone from five antibiotics to one. He ate almost a whole meal today. He hasn't wanted to eat in months. He's gaining back some of that weight. His skin wounds are healing, albeit slowly. They're looking good, finally. He gets to see the baby! He's able to smile. He's able to stay awake most of the day. He's even done a few hours off the vent.

27 days without my husband home. It's been hard leaving him everyday. Sometimes I can stay longer than others, depending on childcare situation, visitors, just how tired I am, and how much the baby can tolerate if she's with me. Since he's been at Shepherd, the baby has come with me. She's been so good for the most part. She flashes her Dadda a big smile everyday when we go. Makes it all worthwhile. She also brightens the day of his health care workers. She's not too picky to who she'll flash a smile too, and people just love that.

So, it's looking like Jimmy might come home on Tuesday. 

The most exciting part is that he's eating real food again! I can go get him (or order) whatever he wants. A simple pleasure re-established. 

I'm not going lie and say having my home without nurses hasn't been wonderful. It's been a nice break, even though they normally help a lot. That's always been a major adjustment for me following the injury.

So, it's been just me and the Spence. We're ready for Dadda to come home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you are going through this. My husband Dennis got sick at Christmas and spent time in the hospital. It's draining on the patients and the caregivers. I am praying things will start looking up for you and Jimmy and Spence!

    ReplyDelete