How Does That Make You Feel?

How did I ever live life without therapy?

I mean... how do people who have so much frustration, anger and deep-rooted issues not know that life could be easier by talking about yourself for an hour a week.

I'm a believer, baby. 

I'd get a license plate that would read THRPYRULZ. And people would be confused, oh so confused.

I started going to therapy around the time Jimmy got discharged from The Shepherd Center as an inpatient. It was during that scary, transition into the home setting which sucked ass.

I have my own counselor and Jimmy has his. She's a cutie. She looks like Taylor Swift and is real perky. Maybe that's why he's not-so-hesitant to see her.

Mine is more along the lines of a psychologist you'd see in a movie. I mean, she doesn't say, "How does that make you feel?"

But she could and I would not be surprised.
We also have a couple's counselor we meet with together once a month.

This guy can pull crap out of Jimmy's brain... and I sit in amazement and watch as it floats into the mutual air.  I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks.

I need footnotes on the language to be able to extract these words from Jimmy's mouth.

Therapy has been my lifeboat on the freaking Titanic.

Little did I know... life goes on throughout a catastrophe. Other tragedies will happen (and did happen). Even as we lived in a hospital for months. Even as we were trying to catch our breath and adjust to a new city.

And as I continue to heal -- there's still tragedy and hardships all around me.

But I'd like to think I'm able to handle it all a little better now. Maybe therapy has even given me some tools (probably like Playschool ones -- but still) to help others.

I'm less sad. I cry less. I'm more constructive. I talk to Jimmy in a less sarcastic manner when I know it's important to do so. 

My doctor has totally called me out on my sarcastic overtones. Damn her.

I'm sure the fact that it's been a gosh-dern year since the accident has helped me regain some of my strength back.

Or maybe it's my awesome Doc. She's bad ass.

Highly recommended. Go get some help, people.

Comments

  1. I went to my "counselor" for 7 years....after a 30 year marriage with grandchildren and divorce. It saved my life, gave me courage to start and succeed with my own business, be happy, understand my own problems, etc. I am so glad you have this and especially that Jimmy does. Just keep going...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts